Desiring pregnancy yet suffering from ovulatory dysfunction? Although an uncommon condition in women, it’s often a bother dilemma. Clomid is a drug that counters ovulatory dysfunction, thus apt treatment scheme. According to Clomid therapy, patients likely to benefit from clomiphene therapy ought to poses ovarian syndromes; polycystic, post oral contraceptive amenorrhea, psychogenic amenorrhea and secondary secondary amenorrhea. See WARNINGS!
Uin this case doctors need timing the coitus properly, particularly during ovulation. Doctors use relevant related tests and basal body temperature to determine if ovulation occurred in the female. Once established (ovulation occurrence) Clomid courses are initiated in the 5th day after ovulation. After 6 cycles the therapy is abandoned. Review PRECAUTIONS!
This treatment is recommended to few patients demonstrating ovulatory dysfunction and who meet the subsequent conditions:
- It is apt for pregnant patients.
- Females lacking ovarian cyst – do not use Clomid treating patients with enlarged ovarian unless suffering from polycystic ovary syndrome. NB: pelvic assessment is crucial before the first and subsequent course Clomid treatment thereafter.
- Patients free from vaginal bleeding explained as abnormal. If dealing with abnormal bleeding vagina, assess for neoplastic lesion prior to treatment procedure.
- The patient should be free from liver diseases and complications.
Additionally, patients expecting Clomid therapy necessitate evolution in regards to subsequent concerns:
- Estrogen level concern – doctor should evaluate the patient for adequate level of estrogen hormone. Various tests are put into action to affirm this – using endometrial biopsy, vaginal smears and examining urinary estrogen. If suffering from abridged estrogen levels, the patient does not qualify for successful Clomid therapy.
- Ovarian failure concern – are you having primary pituitary failure? There is no specific substitute treatment in case of ovulatory failure.
- Endometrial carcinoma concern – also known as endometriosis, increases with age owing to coupled ovulatory disorders in females. Therefore, before executing Clomid therapy, endometrial biopsy becomes the first step.
- Suffering from thyroid disorders? This is an immediate barrier to pregnancy. Additionally, adrenal disorders, male infertility factor and hyperprolactinemia are other impediments.
- If suffering from uterine fibroids, caution is a necessity when using Clomid therapy. This is because the patients can suffer from enlarged fibroids.
Male fertility – there are no unlimited scientific proof which demonstrate that Clomid therapy is equally effective to men as in women. If fact, according to recent research studies, men using these treatment scheme increases chances of suffering from gynecomastia and testicular tumors. However, the cause and effect correlation amid reports testicular tumors and using Clomid are not known. Nonetheless, medical literature has evaluated diverse methods, but, universally, there is no custom treatment for combined therapy, for instance, combining Clomid with ovulation inducing medicines. Likewise, there is limited Clomid ovulation induction regimen in fertilization treatment programs that sources healthy ova ready for fertilization, as such; Clomid is not recommended for such purposes.
Things to Consider
Clomid treatment therapy ought to be supervised by expert medical practitioners. The physicians necessitate endocrine and gynecology disorders competency. Regardless, patients can only select Clomid treatment therapy after cautious diagnosis by expert health care providers. The patients are given treatment outline prior to implanting and achieving the goals of the therapy. In case of potential risks, the objectives should be balanced, discussed and signed by the patients and other witnesses involved.
As mentioned earlier, ovulation occurs 5 days after course Clomid therapy, however, can exceed to 10 days. Nonetheless, coitus is timed by the practitioner to coincide with ovulation. At this stage, appropriate tests are executed to affirm the occurrence of ovulation.
Dealing with Dosage
What is the recommended dosage? Depending on the patient and doctors evaluation, usually, the treatment begins with low doses, perhaps 50 mg daily for 5 days. Hereafter, the dosage is increased slowly while the doctor analyses the patients. If the patient is sensitive to specific condition (polycystic ovary syndrome), the doctors begins the treatment at very low doses. Also, patients are evaluated through ought the treatment cycle stages.
There are plenty offerings that treats ovaulatory dysfunction using Clomid therapy, but are they all effective? Be wary of the doctors you employ to execute the tasks. When ovulation fails to occur during the first course Clomid therapy the doctor can advice of increased dosage to 100 mg in the subsequent treatment. However, the treatment is initiated 30 days after the earlier treatment plan. Increased dosage is advisable.
NB: long term Clomid therapy is not recommended for patients with ovulatory dysfunction. The drug is supplied as 50mg in cartons of 30. Usually, they are white in color and occupy a round shape. Store the drug in room temperature (15-30°C) away from light and heat exposures, excessive humidity condition and closed containers. Additionally, keep away from children’s reach. Seek further clarification from your health care provider in case uncertain about specific treatment or evaluation scheme.